State Portable Equipment Registration Program

Standards and Requirements

The Statewide Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP) is a program offered by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to register portable equipment as an alternative to securing permits or portable registrations from local air pollution control districts. PERP registered equipment, when used according to the conditions on the registration, may operate throughout the state without obtaining permits to operate or portable registrations from any of California's 35 air quality management or air pollution control districts.

Generally, portable engines over 50 horsepower (hp) and portable equipment units that emit particulate matter cannot be operated within the jurisdiction of the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District (District) without a District Permit to Operate, District Portable Registration, or State Portable Registration. In some cases, portable equipment may be ineligible for State PERP, leaving a District permit or registration as the only option.

Who to Contact

Whether registered with the statewide program or permitted/registered by the District, the responsibility for inspection of portable equipment and enforcement of applicable clean air requirements resides with the local air district. For more information on District Permits to Operate or Portable Equipment Registrations, contact the Small Business Assistance.

For more information about State PERP, contact CARB at (916) 324-5869 or visit the CARB Website.

Scheduling a State PERP Inspection

In accordance with State PERP requirements, within one year of the issuance or renewal of the registration, the District is required to inspect all PERP engines and equipment units for which the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District (SJVAPCD) has been designated as the “Home District”.

Owners and operators of registered engines or equipment units for which the SJVAPCD has been designated as the Home District are required to contact the SJVAPCD within 45 days of the initial issuance and subsequent renewals of a registration to arrange an inspection. Please note that you may use your registered equipment before this inspection occurs.

To request an inspection, use the District's PERP Inspection Request Form and submit the completed form electronically - or - print it out and mail or fax it to your nearest District office.