Residential Wood Smoke Reduction Program

What are the requirements?

At the time of sale or transfer of a home, any wood burning heater located at the residential property is required to meet EPA certification or be a pellet-fueled wood burning heater that was exempt at time of purchase/installation. Otherwise, the wood burning heater(s) must be rendered permanently inoperable and removed from property.

How do I comply with the rule requirements?

Seller of the home must permanently render inoperable and remove from property any wood burning heater, insert, or stove that does not meet EPA certification. Seller is required to submit verification of compliance to the buyer and the District within 30 days of close of escrow.

Statement of Compliance form

To submit your Statement of Compliance document, please use the upload tool below or email the document to

What is a certified device?

A device that meets emissions performance standards test. It generates less smoke (fewer particles) than a non-certified stove and uses less wood to create more heat.

How do I determine EPA certification?

To determine if your heater is in compliance, check the owners’ manual or the retail store where you purchased the stove. An EPA-certified wood stove also can be identified by a temporary paper label attached to the front of the stove and a permanent, metal label on the back or side (see below for example). If the label is missing or inaccessible, the EPA maintains a database of certified stoves at: EPA Certified Wood Heater Database

What devices can be left in the home?

Fireplaces, stoves or inserts manufactured to meet EPA emissions performance standards or exempt, and fueled exclusively by natural gas, propane, or electric.

How do I permanently render inoperable and remove the non-certified device from the property?

We encourage you to contact a chimney sweep or hearth products dealer in your area. The District provides a list of hearth retailers through the Fireplace & Woodstove Change-Out Program.

Are there any exemptions to this requirement?

It applies to all real estate transactions within the jurisdiction of the Valley Air District. This includes real estate owned by banks or other financial institutions (known as REO properties)

What does the permanent label on an EPA-certified wood stove look like?

Where can I get help to identify whether my wood burning heater is EPA-certified?

We encourage you to contact a hearth products dealer who the District has been coordinating this effort with. The District provides a list of hearth retailers (link can be found under support materials) through the Fireplace & Woodstove Change-Out Program.